Hollywood icon Salma Hayek is gracing the cover of InStyle’s July issue. The actress opens up about her personal experience with Harvey Weinstein, ageing in Hollywood, and her marriage to one of fashion’s most powerful men, François-Henri Pinault.
- On Harvey Weinstein: “Some people got raped,” she says. “It makes you wonder if you had said something [back then], would it have been different? How come I didn’t have the courage? But I dealt with it to the best of my ability at the time.” That meant getting the movie made despite Weinstein’s intensifying efforts at sabotage. “For me Frida was a political statement, a social statement, a feminist statement,” Hayek says. “It was my way of screaming. And Harvey used my way of screaming to repress me even more. So I could not let him win.”
- On ageing in Hollywood: Given “how much mileage I put on my body,” she explains, “and how much pressure and judgment I put on it, my body has been incredibly generous. I don’t think I am some hot tamale, but I know that for my age, for the lifestyle that I lived, I’m not doing too badly. And I attribute all of this to meditation.”
- On starting out in Hollywood: “Many people told me, ‘You’re no good, you’re never gonna make it,’ ” she says. “What if I had listened to those idiots?” Then she corrects herself: “I did listen to them. I would cry myself to sleep, and give up, and then try again just a little bit—almost embarrassed to admit my dream of being an actress.”
- On her next project and personal connection: “I shouldn’t be telling you this,” she says, before explaining that she’s written a script for a movie she’s been hoping to direct for about 17 years. “I’m highly dyslexic,” Hayek notes. “English is my second language, and I’m not a good writer. But this was too personal and too complicated for me to find a writer to do it, so I had to write it myself.” Hayek is currently shopping it around and can’t reveal more details but says, “It’s a completely original script, and I emphasize ‘original.’ The problem is, it’s not a cheap movie.”
- On her marriage to François-Henri Pinault: “We understand each other really well. One friend said, ‘I cannot believe that out of all of us, the one who cares the least about fashion is the one who landed that guy!’ So I told my husband this. He laughed and said, ‘That’s why you landed me.’ ”
InStyle’s July issue is available for purchase June 11th.
[Photo Credit: Charlotte Hadden/InStyle Magazine]
Josh O’Connor in S.S. Daley at the BAFTA TV Awards Next Post:
T LOunge for June 9th, 2021